Hillsborough: Fan injured in stadium disaster dies 32 years later

Hillsborough: Fan injured in stadium disaster dies 32 years later

image copyrightPA Media

image captionAndrew Devine suffered life-changing injuries in the Hillsborough disaster

A Liverpool fan who suffered life-changing injuries in the Hillsborough disaster has died.

Andrew Devine, 55, died on Tuesday, his family said in a statement released by Liverpool FC.

It added: “Our collective devastation is overwhelming but so too is the realisation that we were blessed to have had Andrew with us for 32 years.”

Ninety-six other people died due to the crush at the FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest in 1989.

Mr Devine was described by his family as a “much-loved son, brother and uncle” who had been supported by his family and a team of dedicated carers.

“We welcome the conclusion of the coroner, Mr Andre Rebello, made today at Liverpool Coroner’s Court, that Andrew was unlawfully killed, making him the 97th fatality of the tragic events that occurred on April 15, 1989,” they added.

In 2016, an inquest jury ruled 96 Liverpool fans had been unlawfully killed in the Hillsborough disaster.

Until Mr Devine’s death, the last of the victims had been Tony Bland, who was left severely brain damaged by the crush at the stadium but lived until 1993.

Liverpool said the club was “deeply saddened” by his death.

“A lifelong Liverpool supporter, Andrew continued to attend matches at Anfield when possible despite suffering life-changing injuries at Hillsborough,” their statement added.

“In doing so he defied expectations that he would not survive for six months after the tragedy.

“The thoughts of everyone at the club are with Andrew’s family and his carers.”

People from across the city have been paying tribute to Mr Devine, including former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher.

Liverpool vice-captain James Milner paid a moving tribute to Mr Devine in 2019 when the club won the Champions League.

As the open-top bus came to the end of its victory parade through the city, the midfielder requested that it stop outside Mr Devine’s home, the Liverpool Echo reported at the time.

Mr Devine was outside and able to watch as Milner leaned over the side of the bus to show him the trophy.

In a 2014 interview, his family told the Echo that Mr Devine was a popular 22-year-old training for a career in accountancy when he was crushed in the crowd in 1989 and starved of oxygen, with doctors initially saying he was unlikely to survive the day.

His sister Wendy said he was “the centre of the family and the glue that holds us together”.

image copyrightHillsborough Inquests

image captionHillsborough remains the worst disaster in British sporting history

The 2016 inquest was a turning point in the official response to the disaster, which had pr

Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *