Elon Musk made headlines again this week. As usual, it was something involving Mars, memes, Tesla, and … monkey brain implants? These topics, among others, were the subject of a conversation Musk had on Clubhouse, the voice chat app that’s big with Silicon Valley VC types. But Musk’s appearance may have been a turning point for the app that moves it into the mainstream. After Musk’s talk, Clubhouse’s user base nearly doubled, going from 3 to 5 million almost overnight. It’s a powerful, popular format, and one that other social media companies are eager to get muscle their way into.
This week on Gadget Lab, former cohost of the show and WIRED senior writer Arielle Pardes joins us to dish about Elon, Clubhouse, and where this kind of social platform goes from here.
Arielle Pardes can be found on Twitter @pardesoteric. Lauren Goode is @LaurenGoode. Michael Calore is @snackfight. Bling the main hotline at @GadgetLab. The show is produced by Boone Ashworth (@booneashworth). Our theme music is by Solar Keys.
If you have feedback about the show, or just want to enter to win a $50 gift card, take our brief listener survey here.
How to Listen
You can always listen to this week’s podcast through the audio player on this page, but if you want to subscribe for free to get every episode, here’s how:
If you’re on an iPhone or iPad, open the app called Podcasts, or just tap this link. You can also download an app like Overcast or Pocket Casts, and search for Gadget Lab. If you use Android, you can find us in the Google Podcasts app just by tapping here. We’re on Spotify too. And in case you really need it, here’s the RSS feed.
More Great WIRED Stories
- 📩 The latest on tech, science, and more: Get our newsletters!
- I am not a soldier, but I have been trained to kill
- How do you define electric field, voltage, and current?
- The 10 books you have to read this winter
- D&D must grapple with the racism in fantasy
- Palantir’s God’s-eye view of Afghanistan
- 🎮 WIRED Games: Get the latest tips, reviews, and more
- 📱 Torn between the latest phones? Never fear—check out our iPhone buying guide and favorite Android pho